In these unprecedented times we find ourselves in, Community Justice Scotland will be doing our very best to maintain our work with communities across Scotland. There will be changes to how we deliver some aspects of our work, such as our training courses. We will keep you updated.
To all of our partners who continue to deliver critical services across Scotland, we would like to say thank you. Adapting to what is a rapidly changing situation whilst often going above and beyond is indicative of your professionalism, and your commitment to our communities. We will continue to support you in any way that we can.
This will be a fast moving situation for community justice. We will update this page regularly to keep you informed, so that we can continue to provide as much help and support for local areas as we can.
What is the Coronavirus?
Coronavirus (COVID-19) is the illness caused by a new strain of Coronavirus first identified in Wuhan city, China. It can cause a cough and/or a fever/high temperature. Latest guidance about COVID-19 from NHS Scotland and the Scottish Government, including social distancing and stay at home advice can be found here: https://www.nhsinform.scot/coronavirus
Policy and Legislation
On Tuesday (24 March 2020), MSPs from across the Scottish Parliament will scrutinise the proposed UK-wide Emergency Coronavirus Bill. Find out more here: https://www.parliament.scot/newsandmediacentre/114907.aspx
Learning, Development and Innovation – our training courses
In accordance with current restrictions all training events have been postponed. The Learning, Development and Innovation team at Community Justice Scotland are currently looking at how we can best support learning in the sector during this time.
In the coming weeks we’ll be making learning materials available digitally. Please use this link to post ideas and suggestions in one or more of the columns on our comment wall.
You may up-vote any other post you agree with by clicking the thumbs up icon. All responses are anonymous unless you choose to include your name in the posted comment.
Click the + icon to add to the column. You can attach any useful links or documents to your comment using the icons in the comment window. We look forward to hearing from you.
We have put together an ongoing series of guidance notes to help Caledonian System Managers make the difficult decisions about how to prioritise work with domestic abusers and support and safety planning work with their partners and children. This guidance was written primarily for areas that are implementing the Caledonian System, but we hope that this and future notes will be useful in other Local Authorities too. You can download the latest guidance notes below:
Advice in non-Caledonian areas: we have created guidance specifically for areas that do have access to the Caledonian. Click here to download this advice.
As always, Caledonian National Coordinator, Rory Macrae, Caledonian National Trainer and Adviser, Gill Mckinna, and National Data Coordinator, Astrid Shearer, are available for further advice and support. Central Caledonian Team contact details:
- Rory Macrae: 07901103852 or Rory.Macrae@communityjustice.scot
- Gill Mckinna: 07901111635 or Gill.Mckinna@communityjustice.scot
- Astrid Shearer (for data questions): Astrid.Shearer@falkirk.gov.uk
SHORE and COVID-19 Guidance
In light of the current Covid-19 situation, appropriate housing on release from prison is of critical importance. As such, interim SHORE guidance has been developed by the prison service and the Scottish Government. Download and read the guidance here.
Links to further support
- The Scottish Government https://www.gov.scot/coronavirus-covid-19/
- Third Sector https://scvo.org.uk/support/coronavirus
- Police Scotland https://www.scotland.police.uk/whats-happening/news/2020/march/chief-constable-statement-on-the-outbreak-of-coronavirus
- Scottish Sentencing Council https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/coming-to-court/attending-a-court/coronavirus
- Social Work Scotland https://socialworkscotland.org/latest-updates-on-covid-19/
- Health Protection Scotland https://socialworkscotland.org/latest-updates-on-covid-19/
- Scottish Prison Service http://www.sps.gov.uk/Corporate/News/News-6838.aspx
- HM Inspectorate of Prisons for Scotland https://www.prisonsinspectoratescotland.gov.uk/news/hmips-approach-covid-19
- The Care Inspectorate https://www.careinspectorate.com/index.php/coronavirus-professionals
- CJVSF hub of information and resources www.ccpscotland.org/cjvsf/hot-topics/covid-19/
- Scottish Community Safety Network www.safercommunitiesscotland.org/covid-19-updates-resources/
- Skills Development Scotland: https://www.skillsdevelopmentscotland.co.uk/coronavirus-covid-19/
As always, you can get in touch with us via social media, email or mobile. We remain contactable and happy to help. Team profiles and contact details here: communityjustice.scot/our-team/ Our general contact information:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 0300 244 8420
- Twitter: @ComJusScot