Skip to main content

Perth and Kinross Independent Advocacy

Last updated: 12th July 2024

Type of service:


Need supported:

  • Accommodation / Homelessness
  • Alcohol
  • Drugs
  • Health / Wellbeing
  • Mental Health
  • Other
  • Re-integration
  • Sexual Offending
  • Short-term Prisoners


Examples of ways Independent Advocacy can help include: Help to prepare for and attend meetings; speak on behalf of the advocacy partner (AP) if they don’ feel able to or are unwilling to speak for themselves; help to write letters; make phone calls; help send an email; source information for the AP; help to explore and help identify what options the AP has and support them in pursuing them; make sure the AP’ voice and views are heard; treat the AP as an individual and be alongside them.

Suitability criteria:

  • All genders
  • All ages

Assessment/referral process:

  • Any agency, Self-referral

Referrals can be made by the prospective advocacy partner themselves (self referral); by a social worker; health professional; family member; 3rd sector worker; solicitor; SPS employee. In other words, anyone can make a referral. Advocacy Partners (AP) with mental disorders (including learning disabilities/dementia/autism and aspergers). AP’ with problematic drug and alcohol use. No restriction on age. No restriction on gender although the AP’ that we work within a custodial environment are all male although have in the past have worked with transgender prisoners who are in a male establishment.

Contact information:

Website link:

Further Information:

Perth and Kinross Independent Advocacy aims to help people by supporting them to express their own needs and make their own informed decisions. Independent advocates support people to gain access to information and explore and understand their options. They speak on behalf of people who are unable to speak for themselves or choose not to do so. They safeguard people who are vulnerable or discriminated against or whom services find difficult to support.